Monday, October 17, 2005

This was supposed to be a website chronicling the literary genius of Tiffany, Yijun and Erwin. However, due to the foreseen circumstances of relationships, overseas education and banking sector careers (not to mention our lazy disposition to penning down our art), we were unable to complete our first assignment of writing three individual stories about the subject matter of "Socks".

I was to claim ingenuity by dropping the plural in the title and playing with the pun of how someone got 'socked', maybe a fistfight of sorts between two rivals in love? Somewhere along the line it didn't seem too interesting, the girl in question having become too flat a character, and as such lost the love of both men. Furthermore the title of "Socks" should be evocative of a longer running theme or at least a recurring image of the subject apparel.

To play with one pun in the entire story would mock the other two authors' effort into bringing the title to life. Even worse would be to intentionally use the colloqualism throughout the indulgent fight scene, making my work less of an intelligent take on the word and more of a laudable attempt at imitating a primary school student's composition.

I couldn't ever live with myself if I thought it such a clever idea and wrote it all down. An entire story just waiting till the climax of a final duel where the title would sort of make sense. That would be a ridiculously crap story and I can't bring myself to write it.

The other idea would be to write about socks. An actual dwelving into what it is they do for us that makes me want to wear them on every shoe-wearing occasion. I am too lazy to do the necessary research of asking people what they think of the subject and placing it into words, and so you have me here discoursing about why I didn't do my homework.

Would anyone like to change the topic? Socks was too narrow a road to have walked down, creativity would be stifled so.

poetic license claimed,
Elix Arkan

2 Comments:

Blogger diana said...

go erwin! you can do it. personally, i would like to read something about socks. i have a soft spot for socks. :)

5:03 AM  
Blogger diana said...

tiffyyy yijunnyyy quickly write also k k k? *grin*

your adoring fan,
di

5:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home